The Week Ahead: What to expect

The Week Ahead: What to expect

The week that was:

A higher than expected CPI figure of 8.3% (compared to estimates of 8.1%) raised concerns about the federal reserve hiking interest rates even further causing markets to plummet. The S&P 500 took a dive of more than 5% during the past 5 days.

Big Movers

CleanSpark (CLSK) shares were down more than 23% in a highly volatile week.

As a source of artificial leverage on Bitcoin, Bitcoin miners have a tendency of moving more than Bitcoin itself in either direction.

Cleanspark stock has a beta of 3.41. A beta greater than 1.0 indicates the price is more volatile than the market. For example, if a stock’s beta is 1.2, it is assumed to be 20% more volatile than the market.  With a beta of 3.41, Cleanspark is 241% more volatile than the general market.

Cleanspark’s fall in price comes despite reporting to have acquired 10,000 more Bitcoin mining machines in early September at a steep discount.

Looking forward:

Decision Time

The US federal reserve is scheduled to meet and make a decision on interest rates this Wednesday. Markets are assigning an 82% chance of an interest rate hike of 75 basis points and an 18% chance of a rate hike of 100bps.

These probabilities suggest a rate hike of 75 basis points is probably already priced in the markets but a 100 basis points hike probably isn’t.

PIF will continue to buy advantageously as opportunities present themselves.

If you’d like to follow what we’re investing in, become a PIF member. In addition to following our stock and crypto investment portfolios, you gain access to our watchlists complete with Buy and Sell prices and unique insights written from the perspectives of halal-conscious investors.

Sign up for our newsletter and receive our “Beginner’s Guide to Halal Investing in Stocks” for FREE!

Enter your email address to subscribe:*